Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The Breakfast Club

   Hello :)  it's the second week in the making of the film opening and personally I will be dedicating this entire week to strict research on different areas which are important in the making of my characters. Many areas in which I would like to touch in the first two minutes of my film is the idea of having very profound characters, rather than having the stereotypical characters seen in many high school movies today. So I decided to analyze The Breakfast Club (1985). This was a production which played greatly with the usual cliché individuals seen in high school, so I wanted to be informed on how the director achieved on creating those personalities and yet make it in a way which fit a large target audience.
  Personally, I have seen the entire movie but because the film opening is only two minutes long I decided to watch a scene which shows the different personalities that were put into the detention room one afternoon. The characters then showed their personalities through the dialogue, costume design, and facial expressions. So, what I decided to do was create a document on google which will elaborate in further detail each character. But the basic information that I acquired was specific features that stood out in my eyes, which as a spectator made me realize those were the elements that allowed me to put together the distinctive characteristics that made up each individual. For instance, the character of Claire Standish who is played by Molly Ringwald is said to be the princess. Meaning that she is the spoiled rich girl out of the group, this is what seems to be implied due to the different eclectic elements that one can see. One way in which a person can reach this conclusion, is through her wardrobe. She shows up to detention in a very light pink blouse and diamond ring on her left hand. These components are what make others believe the stereotypical character that she truly is, but because the script was so well written the dialogue completely changed that thought process. Once she then speaks about her life to her pupils, you then realize that she has many troubles at home. She has parents that are close to getting a divorce and she is caught in the middle of everything.
  So the knowledge that I wanted to get out by watching that particular scene may times, was how the director got to create those characters to being so profound and different yet their appearance implying a different message.

No comments:

Post a Comment