Saturday, March 12, 2016

Let the Research Begin!

Hello again! So it's officially the end of the first week, and so far I feel extremely confident about my progress in the project itself. I made myself an extremely strict schedule to follow, and if I follow it I believe it will lead to a great product. The first couple of weeks I will be dedicating to investigate in true detail my genre, target audience, and other films that have done a very similar plotline. This will allow me to see the different elements which was inputted in the first couple of minutes of the movie to define very structurally the plot line and characters. This can be seen through the shots and angles, mise-en-scene, audio techniques, and editing.
  The only movie so far that I have looked into great detail has been the Other Woman (2014). This romantic comedy was directed by Nick Cassavetes and it follows the story about Carly Whitten who is played by Cameron Diaz who is a lawyer who has established extremely strict rules when it comes to her love life. This all changes when she meets Mark King, which is played by Nicolaj Coster-Waldau who is a very handsome business man that Carly falls head over heels for. As the story progresses, Carly has the idea of surprising him in his home in Connecticut. As she arrives, she finds out that he was cheating on her with his devoted housewife Kate who is played by Leslie Mann the entire period of time Mark was with her. As Kate and Carly both find out what he has been doing, they direct their frustration and anger in planning a very intricate revenge plan to get back at him for everything he has done. In the process of them making this unique scheme, they find out there is an additional girl in his large web of lies. They then join forces in trying to make his life as miserable as possible in many different ways.
  I then dedicated an entire day in trying to analyze the film in many different parts. For instance, I would notice repeating patterns such as in the audio techniques. One was how whenever a character was going to say something comical and there was non-diegetic music playing in the background, it would stop temporarily. This unexpected pause would then highlight a feeling of sudden suspense, which would lead to a reaction from the audience. Those certain segments of the movie I typed into a google document, so that when I started sketching exactly what I was planning to shoot next week, I would have a lot of information to look down upon. So far I have only done one movie but by the end of next week I would have done at least two. This also can inspire me to make my production close to that of a well produced movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment